The video says olive oil – this was before I was enlightened. No oil. No coconut oil. Sweat the onions and saute in a little veg stock. Also if you want to be really good on the saturated fats either use a coconut mylk that is low in fat, or even better replace with a plant-based single cream. See the picture below for an example of this. Always read the label.
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 Large Onion finely chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 2 Medium carrots, cut into 1.5cm / 5/8in cubes
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato, peeled, cut into 1.5cm / 5/8in cubes
- 1 Tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1 Vegetable cube (low salt)
- 1 Litre/ 1 1/2 pints vegetable broth
- 1 Small carton coconut milk
- 2cm/1in Ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 Cup red lentils(soaked as per instructions on packet)
- 1/2 Cup green lentils(soaked as per instructions on packed)
- 100g/3,5oz Basmati rice/brown rice (you can cook rice separately as brown rice will take longer to cook)
- 1/2 Lemon squeezed
- Fresh coriander or flat leave parsley, to garnish(optional)
- savory spice blend and freshly ground black pepper
How To Make
- Sweat the onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, and sweet potato, curry powder and turmeric, stock cube. Start cooking over a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly until the vegetables are beginning to soften and brown slightly.
- Add the lentils, rice.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a simmer and cook until rice and lentils are tender. This should take about 40 minutes.
- When the soup is ready, cool the soup for a few minutes and blend with a stick blender, which will thicken the soup, for 30 seconds.
- Add enough water to give the soup the right consistency. If you want a more rustic look to the soup, do not blend. Heat the soup until piping hot. Check for seasoning and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Ladle into deep bowls.
- Add lemon juice and garnish with a spring of coriander or flat parsley if you like.
THE VIDEO SHOWS US USING OIL – this was before I learned about the damaging effects of oil and fats on our arteries, weight, insulin receptors blocking, omega 3 / 6 ratio. Luckily its olive oil which is an amber light oil. Please take it out you do not need it to fry with just use some vegetable stock, you will not be able to taste it and you do not need it for frying, just use a little water to sweat the onion and garlic. Much healthier for health and heart and insulin resistance.
Also, use a vegetable stock over a bone broth due to the lead contamination of the bones in the broth. See heavy metals in Day 10 of remove course for further details.
Replacement for Coconut Mylk