Adapted from So Vegan
Sweet N Sour Tofu
This recipe has been adapted from a recipe from So Vegan. Check out the video but make sure that you don't use the oil, replace the salt with the savory spice blend.
- 1 Block of firm tofu or 300g
- 80g (2.8oz) Brown rice
- 1 Yellow pepper
- 1 Brown onion
- 40g (1.4oz) Organic Kale
- 1 Red chilli
- 1 Tablespoon tamari
- 2 Tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 Tablespoon homemade date syrup
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons cornflour
- Small handful of cashews (pre soaked & dried)
- Savory Spice Blend
How To Make
- Cook up the brown rice.
- Dice the yellow peppers into bite sized pieces.
- Chop the kale (talking of the stalks that are tough to eat)
- Wash, drain and rinse the tofu. Pat dry with a kitchen towel so that its dry
- Cut the tofu into 2cm cubes.
- FOR THE SAUCE
- In a bowl mix together the tamari, tomato puree, date syrup, apple cider vinegar and half of the chilli with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
- Place the cornflour into a bowl with a pinch of savory spice blend.
- Place the tofu cubes into the bowl and coat evenly.
- Place the kale on a baking tray with a pinch of savory spice blend and combine with some seasoning, spread out into an even layer. Place in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until turning crispy. or alternatively steam the kale for 5 minutes. Do not overcook or you will lose the nutrients.
- Heat a large wok or frying pan on a medium-high heat and cook the tofu for 10 minutes turning occasionally until turning golden. Then add the onion and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until softening.
- Add in the sweet and sour sauce and turn down the heat.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Spoon the brown rice into 2 warm bowls alongside the sweet and sour tofu and kale.
- Sprinkle with some crushed cashews and the remaining chilli.
- Additional toppings could be some green nori sprinkle (Clearsprings brand is good for this)
- Calories 27
- Total Fat: 1 g 1.54%
- Saturated Fat: 0 g 0%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 2 mg 0.08%
- Potassium: 0 mg 0%
- Total Carbohydrate: 0 g %
- Sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Calcium: 33 mg 3.3%
- Iron: 1 mg 5.56%
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Video of How to Make
Swap out the maple syrup for date syrup – has more nutrients and less processed as you can make from whole dates