1 Artichoke per person
Freshly steamed artichokes have a rich, nutty flavor that make them a delicious. Full of all the healing nutrients you need to boost your immune, the artichoke can be made into dips too. You can buy them in cans called artichoke hearts, but make sure that you get the ones that have just water and no salt or oil.
Eat as a snack or add to salads or soups, or with a dip or make a dip from the artichoke hearts with some vegan mayo (see the dips section), or eat as a side dish you your main meal.
5 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 4-6 Artichokes
- Boiling Water
- Pan with lid
- Steamer insert
- Oven if you want them baked
How To Make
- Remove excess small leaves from the bottom of the artichoke
- Then cut about 1/3 off the top of the artichoke, just the small top leaves
- Cut off the spikes on each of the leaves, this is quick when done with some scissors
- Peel the bottom stem as its thick and fiberous
- Cut the excess off the stem so you have a 1cm stem left
- Use a large pan with lid and a steamer insert
- Add water to the base of the pan, but not enough that it comes into the steamer basket
- Add the artichoke and cover with the lid
- Reduce the heat to simmer
- Steam 4-6 artichokes for 20 mins for small to 45mins for a medium artichoke, and 1hr for a large artichoke.
- Start checking at around 20 mins, you know the its ready when the pettles peel off easily.
- To grill prepare the artichoke as above (up to the steaming instructions)
- Cut in half stem to tip
- Squeeze 1/2 a lemon over each half to stop burning
- And bake at 200F or 400C
- Season with pepper and savory spice blend or any other seasoning of choice (preferably not salt or oil)
- Bake for 30-50 minutes
- Serve Hot and enjoy straight away but peeling the leaves off, some of the leaves as you peel the layers off have artichoke at the end of the leaf that you can pull off with your teeth. Peel all the leaves off and you get to the heart, take the fluffy part of the heart out with a spoon and eat the heart. This is called the artichoke heart, which you can scoop out.
- Place each portion in a ziplock bag.
- Store in the fridge or freeze.
- You can eat straight from the fridge and will last the weekThis way you can have a healthy, nutritious, and low fat snack ready to eat right out of the fridge.
- Calories 60
- Total Fat: 0 g 0%
- Saturated Fat: 0 g 0%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 119 mg 4.96%
- Potassium: 0 mg 0%
- Total Carbohydrate: 13 g %
- Sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Vitamin A: 2.98%
- Calcium: 60 mg 6%
- Iron: 2 mg 11.11%
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*