White Cream Sauce
5 minPrep Time
11 minCook Time
16 minTotal Time
- 1 cup dry great northern beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender. If using canned, substitute with 2 15 oz cans, drained
- 6-8 cloves garlic, crushed and sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 30 minutes
- Savory spice blend to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
How To Make
- Heat a pan until super hot, then add some water, about 2 tablespoons. Add the garlic and stir-fry until soft.
- Add the red pepper flakes and oregano and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add the beans and savory spice blend to taste. Let the mixture come to a boil. Add a cup of water if too dry.
- Lower heat to a simmer and let the beans cook with the garlic and oregano for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the beans to a blender, add the cashews, and blend into a very smooth, creamy sauce. You can add some water if needed, but add a little at a time to get just the consistency you want.
- Add the sauce back to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Keep stirring the sauce to ensure it doesn't stick to the bottom -- don't use more than medium heat.
- When the sauce begins to boil, turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and zest and stir in. Check salt and serve hot with pasta.
- Recipe Notes
- *Add some baby spinach to the sauce just before it's ready, and bring to a boil. Let the spinach cook about a minute until wilted. Serve.
- *Stir in a couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast after turning of the heat, for a cheesier flavor.
- *I like to serve this on top of pasta with some minced parsley.
- Calories 272
- Total Fat: 17 g 26.15%
- Saturated Fat: 3 g 15%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0%
- Sodium: 267 mg 11.13%
- Potassium: 494 mg 14.11%
- Total Carbohydrate: 26 g %
- Sugar: 6 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Vitamin A: 439.42%
- Calcium: 72 mg 7.2%
- Iron: 4 mg 22.22%
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*